Herbalife protein shake is considered a processed food. Yet, not all processed things we put in our body are bad for us… understanding what exactly is in our protein shake (the ingredients content) to deciding whether to consume it/ select an alternative/ discontinue using it is indeed crucial.
Before we dive into herbalife protein powder ingredients further, let’s considering what Herbalife Protein Shakes promise is:
“Herbalife protein shakes provide up to 21 essential vitamins and minerals in one delicious glass. It contain fiber, protein, and essential nutrients that help boost metabolic function at the cellular level. The shakes build sleek muscles, weight loss, and work as a quick and easy meal replacement, giving your body all the nutrition it needs and nothing it does not. It helps maintain ideal body weight, etc…”
It’s logical to see why, but is Herbalife protein shake good for you and really safe?
There’s ONE thing that is worth emphasised on again, that is, majority of the protein shakes out there, they are all processed and deciding on whether or not they are actually real food comes into question. And you should by now, know that consuming a protein drink with any of those ingredients (and more others that will be discussed in future) is a risk to your health.
What are the side effects of Herbalife shake products?
You see, the food & beverage industry is making an absolute killing marketing strategy selling us that are filled with highly processed proteins, chemicals, preservatives and other additives. Take a closer look at Herbalife Protein Powder Ingredients below:
The very first 3 ingredients listed in Herbalife Ingredients are: Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Yet, we’ve discussed Soy Protein Isolate here, Fructose here, a few of Food Additives here before in previous blog posts, so I won’t go into them again in detail specifically. Instead, let’s look at other pro-inflammatory ingredients such as canola oil & carrageenan.
make an oil change
Some fats fight inflammation. Some fats create it. Among the top pro-inflammatory culprits are oils that is fragile… canola oil is one of them.
Study Reveals Canola Oil Is Bad for the Brain.
When it comes to canola oil, some people avoid it at all cost, while others view it as healthy food as canola oil has been bred to be rich in omega-3s, low in saturated fats, a good source of oleic acid. BUT, because of this, it is fragile, you do not want to expose it to heat… and there’s much more to the canola story…
Some people might say that, well, the amount of canola oil in Herbalife Protein Shakes is so insignificant that it is not worth to mention nor worried about. In fact, for people who take shakes religiously before and after workouts, as meal replacements every single day, as weeks and months goes by… it would be an issue for them. They might start to experience unwanted health issues sooner or later in their life… that they would never think that it could be due to the trusted brands and shakes that they are consuming daily!
When there are extremely passionate viewpoints, it can be very challenging to get to the bottom of it all. A new study in the journal Scientific Reports links canola oil consumption to memory deterioration, degenerative learning ability, and weight gain in mice – symptoms modeling Alzheimer’s Disease (AD). The study reveal canola oil is indeed more harmful than beneficial for brain health! Omega 3s in Canola Oil? Think twice!
Besides, canola oil is bad and very harmful to the body for more reasons:
- Over 90% of canola oil is genetically modified GMO. Although there have been NO long-term viable studies done on GMO canola oil, reports that it caused many kidney, liver, toxicity, allergic reactions, immuno-suppression, cancer, loss of nutrition, and neurological health issues. This makes sense since there are other reports that GMO products like corn and soy also can cause negative health effects.
- Canola oil is a refined oil that’s often partially hydrogenated to increase its stability 🙁 but this increases it’s negative health effects. Canola oil goes through the process of refining, bleaching and degumming – all involve high temperatures / chemicals… questionable safety!
- Canola oil high in omega-3 fatty acids, which easily become rancid and foul-smelling when subjected to oxygen and high temperatures, it must be deodorised. This process removes large portion of the omega-3 fatty acids by turning them into trans fatty acids. Research at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found trans level as high as 4.6% in commercial liquid oil. The consumer has no clue about the presence of trans fatty acids in canola oil because they are not listed on the label!
- Monsanto has been incorporating genetically modified organisms in it’s canola oil seeds.
- Dangers of Canola Oil:Kidney and Liver Problems as a result of GMO foods published in Environmental Science Europe review in year 2011. Kidneys been disrupted by 43.5% in male mammals and 30.8% in female mammals. So ingesting a GMO food like protein shakes that are full of GMOs ingredients like the soy, fructose, canola oil, etc… is really NOT something to take lightly!Life-Threatening Heart Trouble as a monounsaturated oil, it is a fatty acid that is associated with heart damage, especially Keshan disease, that manifests itself with fibrotic lesions of the heart. Partially hydrogenated vegetable oils like canola are known for causing inflammation and calcification of arteries, which are well-established risk factors for coronary heart disease.High Blood Pressure & Strokes studies have shown that consumption of vegetable oils shortens the life span of stroke-prone and high blood pressure animal subjects. Nutrition & Toxicology Research Divisions of Ottawa discovered that rats bred to have hypertension and prone to have stroke died sooner when fed canola oil. There’s also study found that there was a canola oil induced shortening of blood coagulation time! And increase fragility in red blood cell membranes… this promote the occurrence of strokes in stroke-prone animal subjects.Negative Effects on Memory & Brain Health. Studies shown that canola oil group weighed and experienced memory and learning ability decline significantly more than the control group. These findings confirm that regular, long term consumption of canola oil has negative effects on memory and brain health.
Retard Normal Growth. It is not legal to use canola oil in infant formulate. The euroric acid in canola oil is harmful to infants due to an inability to properly break down. Proponents brag about canola oil healthy profile, but I don’t buy it.
Increase LDL and Lower HDL. When canola oil undergoes hydrogenation to become a partially hydrogenated oil, this increases its level of trans fats. These group of fats are scientifically known to increase LDL cholesterol and lower HDL cholesterol.
When you read “partially hydrogenated oil” “zero trans fat” … this guarantees that there is some amount of trans fat present. How can it be zero when the company is allowed to indicate there are no trans fats, when the serving contains less than 0.5 grams? Frustrating and sad, I know.
Trans fatty acids are hazardous byproducts of food processing and are truly health destroyers. In fact, if you decide to get rid of canola oil… watch out for packaging food products that contain corn oil, safflower oil, soy oil. and vegetable oil!
As summary, luckily, we don’t have to rely on protein drinks because simply eating a variety of real food alone gives you plenty of protein. 😉
But, if you are still concerned about protein you could make a protein-filled real food smoothie at your comfort home! Learn how to make healthy green smoothie for weight loss here!
Hope my sharing make sense for you. All of above is based on my personal experience and knowledge as a Pharmacist in Malaysia. Hope you enjoy reading my weight loss journey blog and do feel free to leave any comment^^